What is a Respite Stay?
A short period of rest. Relief.
When related to senior living, a respite stay can provide a period of rest and relief from several perspectives. For a caregiver, it may mean rest and relief from a continual regime of caring for an individual with health needs. For an individual, it can be a period of rest and relief from the caregiver. It’s a balance.
In senior living, such as an assisted living or memory care community, these short term stays offer just that. Typically, this short-term period allows an individual to enjoy the full benefits of a community during their stay such as: assistance with Activities of Daily Living which can include bathing, dressing, grooming, and restroom needs; three healthy, seasonal and fresh meals each day, activities, outings, access to a salon, watching a movie in the stadium-seating theater, having his/her room cleaned, and having access to laundry facilities, if desired.
Why would someone need/want a respite stay?
- Seniors who have fulfilled the allowable amount of Swing Bed days in the hospital, but aren’t ready to go home yet.
- Seniors who are still recovering from a sickness or injury who still require some assistance, but do not need to stay in a hospital.
- Caregivers who may become ill, desire to take a vacation, or just in need of a short break.
- Seniors who are interested in “testing the waters” of senior living.
- Is there a minimum or maximum amount of time allowed for respite stays?
- Respite stays can be as short or as long as the elder or family need.
- What do I need to bring?
- Just like staying at a hotel, we will take care of everything aside from personal belongings and personal care items. Bring clothing, medications, and any personal hygiene or care items with you. You are also welcome to bring personal mementos to help you feel more at home during your stay.
- What if I want to stay permanently?
- We have a lot of residents who join us for a respite stay and decide to stay! Respite stays are a great way to ease into senior living and dispel some of the fears that come along with moving into a retirement community.
- What is the cost?
- The cost per day of respite stays vary from community to community. Please contact your desired Cedarhurst location for pricing information.
- Depending on your long term care insurance, the cost of your stay could be covered. Please contact your insurance provider for more information about your policy.
- Who offers respite stays?
- At Cedarhurst, select communities are able to offer respite stays when space is available. Please contact your desired Cedarhurst community to discuss scheduling details for a respite stay.
Cedarhurst Living is happy to help in any way we can. We’d love to answer any questions you may have about respite care or about senior living in general. We’re here for you.