Activities at senior living communities may be a “profession” for some, but for Cedarhurst, it’s a PASSION!
With each new day comes the question, “What’s going on today?” And from that sense of anticipation and excitement comes the challenge of assessing each person’s individual interests, hobbies, and preferences, in order to offer person-centered programs. If the resident requests it, we do what we can to make it happen! For example, we meet together to “RAP” (Resident Action Planning), making suggestions, brainstorming and discussing ideas for our monthly calendar. We strive to offer a variety of enriching & stimulating options including, but not limited to:
- Intellectual/Educational: Museum trips, learning new games or languages, film documentaries, guest speakers, historical lectures, etc…
- Outings/ Special Events: Representing Cedarhurst in local parades, concerts, senior dances, weekly shopping trips, restaurants, mystery-rides, parties…
- Creative Expressions: beading, jewelry-making, designing greeting cards, “culinary” creations, gardening…
- Physical/Mental Strengthening: Ageless Grace exercise program specifically designed for seniors), stretch & balance classes, trivia, brain-wellness challenges, inspirational services, music & speakers, massage & relaxation, manicures…
- Spiritual: church choirs sharing the music of the church, pastors coming to give sermons, Bible study, etc.
- ….and so much more!
Of course, children & pets are always a hit! We are very blessed to have various children’s groups visit, who bring joy to us in many ways. Whether it be Girl & Boy Scout troops, youth groups and choirs, puppeteers, elementary school students, choral groups & high school bands, young musicians from piano or violin classes, every face lights up with a smile when the children come in our community. There are many studies showing the benefits for both generations when participating in intergenerational activities.
We love having the youth of America visit our community. We feel that this helps the children learn more about the elders in their community while the elders are able to share their stories and reminisce.
Family events are such a nice tool to learn about more about the residents, not to mention just an enjoyable time for all. Earlier this Summer, Cedarhurst Memory Care had an ice cream social for Family & Friends, which was a huge success. We always try to tailor our Memory Care events specifically for those in Memory Care to help personalize every event with the interests and joys of the elders. Smaller group events or one-on-one activities are ideal for those living with Alzheimer’s Disease or other related dementias.
It’s nice to visit with the residents but when the families are here you get to hear even more sweet memories and that help to trigger happy feelings. We love that this time together gives caregivers great conversation starters and simply provides more history about the residents and their roots. We love it when families get involved and join in on our activities. Of course – it’s so wonderful to see the residents light up with great pride of being to share these experiences with their loved ones.
Grandparents Day is a big deal at Cedarhurst – here are just a few events that our communities are throwing in celebration!